Wednesday, April 25, 2012

College Life in a Nutshell

When I was an incoming college freshmen, entering La Salle or Ateneo was not really a big deal for me. Sure, these two universities were a part of my so-called "future-universities-I-plan-to-enroll-myself-into-list" or I wouldn't even bother to take its daunting entrance exam. Perhaps it was because my heart was already settled on taking a pre-med course in UST. I was practically cinched to go to that specific path because I know UST's good reputation when it comes to pre-med courses. I was practically indifferent with my DLSUCET and ACET results unlike my other high school classmates who seemed to consider those tests as a do or die sort of thing. It's La Salle or Ateneo for them or their lives are over.

During those times when all of the results came pouring in, I was ready to go for UST and fulfill my neurologist dreams. But who knew La Salle would get me all confused in the path that I really want to take in my career? So, there I was weighing the pros and cons of both Universities until I finally reached my decision to go green instead of yellow. It was, of course, hard for me to leave my pre-med dreams but I did it just for practical reasons (that I will no longer write about for me not to bore you too much).

I entered DLSU-M as an AB Organizational Communication major. I honestly did not know what my career would be like taking this course and I just went on with it. I did my research before my orientation in the University happened. And all I found out is, it was all about media. I was like, "so I will be working for different TV networks in that case, not bad, that's something to try out." But when I told this to my mom, she went all crazy about life and being mature now that I'm in college so I ended up saying, "Okay, I'll shift to BS Psych". Apparently, I was still about to live the dream of becoming a neurologist in the first place, so all was good. 

My orientation came and I was nervous as hell. The day before my LPEP (Lasallian Personal Effectiveness Program - this was what our orientation was called), I was reading the green LPEP2k8 sheet that was given to us during our slot confirmation. I remember it vividly saying: wear rubber shoes, no shorts, etc. etc. I was panicking because I don't have any decent sneakers. All I have were my dancing shoes. So, to hell with it, I just wore my flats. I was too paranoid about the guards not letting me enter the University premises when the day came though. But guess what? When I got to DLSU, girls were wearing their fancy flats too and I was like, right on, we're off to a good start.

Block 21!






First day of LPEP was awesome. This was the day I found out that I belong to Block LR 21. I honestly did not like the fact that I belong to a block with the number '21' on it, I thought it was lame. I remember saying to myself, "Why 21? Of all numbers!" I guess I did not understand the fact that there were really specific numbers assigned to each course in La Salle. I know its weird but I just have a thing for numbers back then and yeah, I'm not a fan of numbers after 9. I'm maarte like that.



I don't really remember vividly what happened during my first day of orientation but my LAmb background tells me I got bombarded with getting-to-know-my-blockmates activities which I guess were effective enough in getting acquainted with everyone in my block. Everything went beyond my expectation, actually. I had fun. The guards let me in though I wasn't wearing rubber shoes (as I believed otherwise the day before), I did not get lost as expected while I was finding my way to my block and I wasn't late. It was such a good day for me! Of course, a big part of that day was being able to gain new friends. I wasn't that much of a sociable person back then. I was too shy and reserved. I was silent most of the time but I still manage to get to know new people. And I thought to myself at the end of the day, Hey, I think college would not be that bad AT ALL, I'm excited for tomorrow.

Second day of LPEP, I was late. I knew it, I knew somehow that I will be tardy in at least one of my college orientations. Yes, being punctual isn't really counted as one of my strengths. Since I was tardy for day 2 of LPEP, my LAmbs chose me to be our block representative for the mass. I was included in the offertory. I was hesitant at first, 'coz I was too shy but I guess that's the price I have to pay for being late. Day 2 was actually more fun than the first day. Everyone already knows each other, contacts were exchanged and so is our Multiply and Yahoo! messenger usernames. FYI, this was still during the year 2008, so Y!M and multiply was still the "in" thing to have.

After our orientation, I kept in touch with the people I met during LPEP. We texted and chatted until our first day in school started.

During my first day in school, I came in late for my first class. I was really disappointed with myself that time 'coz I really did not intend to be tardy for my first day. What a good way to start my first day in college, right? Anyway, my first class was held in the Andrew Building just like every other Lasallian froshie. We all know how the lines would pile up for the elevators every time you arrive a minute or 5 before/after your class starts. And well, I arrived a couple of minutes late in school when my class already started at 8AM. Desperate as I was to get to class as fast as I can, I did not wait in line like everyone else. I was in a hurry that I don't know where I got the guts to go all the way inside the elevator that was about to close. I cut everyone else and got inside the freakin' elevator. I can't even believe (until now) that I did that. I want to slap myself.

I think karma acted fast when I got inside the elevator. Here's the thing, my ENGLCOM class was in the 7th floor. I guess I just wanted to go to my class as fast as I can that I did not notice that I got in the wrong elevator. I kept on pressing the number 7 in the elevator button not knowing that it doesn't serve that specific floor. I kept on pressing, pressing, and pressing that it already came to the point that I murmured to myself, "Ano ba 'to?" Not knowing what to do, I just gave up and just pressed 6 and decided to take the stairs up to the 7th floor.

There were a lot of people riding that elevator I was in and I did not know how embarrassing my continuous pressing of the number 7 button and my cutting everyone else in line were. I just realized everything at the end of the day and created an entry in my Multiply site to rant. FACE PALM! Very very very EPIC day indeed, all because of my tardiness.

It's funny how I remember everything vividly.

I consider my first year as my adjustment and exploration period in La Salle. There were just so much that I was able to discover in terms of myself and the people around me. I was also somewhat exposed to what the real world beholds which I have failed to see when I was still in high school. You can say that I grew in terms of my thinking, I became more mature which I am very much proud of. This is one thing I should thank DLSU for.















The first ever organization I joined in La Salle was the Lasallian Ambassadors. I joined a couple of organizations as well but I was just a member, that's it. I was not even active enough to participate in the activities spearheaded by those organizations. But with LAmb, it was different. I was active without even knowing it. I guess, I enjoyed what I was doing too much. LAmb definitely gave me the best experiences I had in DLSU. I was able to meet a lot of new people coming from different colleges that I am still friends with until now and was able to orient incoming freshmen. It was a tiresome job but I did enjoy everything I did for the organization.

LAmb2k9





After conquering my first year in La Salle, I haven't had a single thought of shifting to BS Psychology as what I said to my mom. I guess, I got lazy to go through all the process so I got stuck with OrgComm. My neurologist dreams went down the drain as my second year in La Salle started. 

This year was definitely tougher than first year since we're going to be taking our major subjects. The stress that we experienced during our frosh year was definitely doubled or even tripled. It was insane. OrgComm is no joke and is to be taken seriously. Second year also made me understand clearly what the course is all about and I eventually fell in love with it. I realized that maybe I wasn't meant to be a doctor, perhaps this is the path that God really wanted me to take. And I am not complaining at all that I chose to follow what God wanted me to do.

Second year was kind of a bittersweet year for me. It was the most fun year yet, but failing a major subject during my 2nd term and knowing that I will be delayed for a year did not quite allow it to be considered as a just-fun-year. I thought after passing THEORYO (Theory for Organizations), which was by the way the subject that most OrgComm majors flunked, everything was already a-okay for me. Being able to conquer a subject that was taught by the Dr. Diaz was just pure happiness. I was relieved and happy. However, another term came and it was Dr. Diaz again for RSERCH1 (research methods). This time, I wasn't able to work my magic and failed the subject. It felt surreal for me when it happened. I was depressed and I couldn't seem to absorb it.  I was very disappointed because if it weren't for that subject I will once again be a Dean's Lister and could've vied for the Jose Rizal's consistent dean's lister award. I asked myself a couple of times, "Is this really happening?" But I didn't let that failure take me down and stopped thinking of what could've been, I just continued with what I have and waited till next year to take that subject again.  

The 0.0 is depressing
This particular year was also the time that I become active with a couple of organizations as well. So I had to jumble everything, academics plus my extra curricular activities. It was hard at first, but eventually, I got used to it and managed to balance everything properly. I was part of a particular unit in the Student Council, Arts College Assembly headed by our most beloved College President Mr. Lorenz de Castro A.K.A Lolo (along with my two college BFFs Ira and Ces) and my 2nd year being a Lasallian Ambassador started.

A picture with Lolo's standee, just because we're his number one fan!





Working under Lolo as his communication associates was fun. This was the very reason why the three of us decided to switch to yellow and blue instead of red and orange (only Lasallians can understand this). It wasn't because Lolo told us to do so, it was mainly because of how we adored Lolo's work for the student body. Being part of ACA was definitely a start of us three appreciating the job of being a part of the student council once and for all. It was all because of how Lolo influenced us. So yeah, all hail Lolo! 

Half of my second year life in La Salle, I already applied to become an Aspiring Lasallian Ambassador Core. It was kind of an upgrade from being just a Lasallian Ambassador. We were trained to become one of the core members which would facilitate the rest of the LAmbs (if chosen). It was one of the best experiences I had in college. Not only was I able to discover my capabilities, but I was also able to find new set of friends.



Yes, we went through a lot of drama and issues. But it wouldn't be ALAC2k10 if it weren't for those epic moments. Teehee! 

Friends come and go. I guess, my second year in La Salle made me discover who my friends really were. Most of the people I was friends with during my frosh year did not last long. I think that's how it really goes. There were no issues of some sort but they just gradually disappeared one by one. We were once a big group back then but we were eventually cut into half then another half until there were only three of us left.

Ira and Ces were two of the girls that I've been with all throughout my college life. We've been group mates in all of the subjects we took every time there were projects. We shared the same breaks and class schedules as much as possible. We enjoyed every bit of our college life having each other. We could've been thesis mates if it weren't for me being delayed because of RSERCH1. We had a friendship that certainly stood the test of time.



Our second year in La Salle was actually the time that the three of us got closer. We did not really belong to the same group of friends in our group (there were groups embedded in our big group way back when we were frosh). But who knew the three of us will be the ones to have a bulletproof friendship? Sure, there were ups and downs but at least we managed to maintain an awesome friendship all throughout our college life. It is to the both of them I owe most of my awesome college life experiences. I love them both to bits.





Third year was purely all about having a good time. I think my awesome class schedule allowed me to lay off a bit. This time, I dared to enroll in classes without knowing anyone. Since Ira and Ces were already doing their thesis and I did not have the same enrollment schedule as theirs, we did not have the same classes anymore. But lucky as I am, I'm always to surprise to see people I know in every class I take. Cool. Its really good to have many friends in school, especially when this time comes.  

I was also introduced to new set of friends during my third year which I was glad to be part of. 





This year was also a start of another LAmb year for me. I wasn't chosen to become a core member of the organization but I still chose to reapply just for the sake of my four co-ALACs who managed to make it to the position. 

with some of the LAmb 2k11 kiddos

LPEP day 2
LAmb Culmi Night
Of course, my love for the student council did not end during my 2nd year. This time, I was again part of two (or was it three?) University Student Government units (this was the SC before) in DLSU and served the student body as much as I can.

What made my third year even more better was finally deciding to become an active member of Santugon. There sure were a lot of awesome people that I was able to meet because of this organization. I really regret the fact that I did not choose to become active in Santugon when I had the chance. It would've been an awesome experience if I did, I know it. Santugon is not just a political party, it is a family. It's such a cliche, I know. This phrase has been overused every time it's recruitment week, campaign week, and the like. But it really is true, once you're a part of Santugon, you belong to a family. I really and already felt that even when I just became active. I never felt so welcome.




How can I ever forget meeting my little sister? Bianca is one of those few people that I got to be close with when I was in Santugon. She's such a cutie pie, I tell you. The first time we met her very distinct voice caught my attention and I thought it was very cute, not to mention her "baby-like" actions. Believe me, I wanna pinch her but I guess that wouldn't be possible 'coz she's too skinny for my life.





This girl is the sweetest human being I know. The little sweet things she does for me never fails to brighten up my day. I think that was one thing that made us close, in the first place.

She made that for me! Isn't she the sweetest? <3

I remember spending an afternoon with her in Starbucks just to catch up on each other. I seriously had a headache 'coz I was literally telling her different stories about my life on and on and on as she was doing so as well. Maybe it was the caffeine, I don't know, but we were just way too talkative that day. Oh I just love her!



Then my last year in DLSU finally came. This was quite a challenging year for me to finish. It was indeed my last hurrah. I had OCHANGE (Organizational Change and Development), Thesis A (Topic proposal part of thesis writing), Thesis B (Execution part of the topic approved), and practicum. I was seriously bombarded with school works. You have no idea. But good thing I had my two thesis mates with me who made our daunting days together less stressful.

Iris, me, and Shar!
OCHANGE group mates
Bam, Me, and Shar
Thesis Groupmates
Shar and Bam were not really a part of my LR 21 block. I just met them during my 2nd year when I started taking my major subjects. They were both shiftees from a different course. I got to know Shar a bit better during my 3rd year when I became classmates and group mates with her when I took RSERCH1 for the 2nd time. I guess, I got closer to Bam during my 3rd year as well.

Who knew both of them were going to be my thesis mates? Who knew I will get stuck with them for a couple of months? I'm not really complaining. I really thank God that both of them were my group mates for thesis. We might not have known each other from way back but we sure got along easy. Yes, we did experienced misunderstandings but who doesn't? It's inevitable.



From our topic proposal defense being a success to our final thesis paper being bound for University use, everything's a product of us three working perfectly together. Getting a 3.0 in our Thesis A and another 3.0 for our Thesis B was pure hard work. Of course, we do have fun at times and its not all work. Hello? We also have a life. But really, what we went through was no joke. We experienced a lot of problems, I tell you, - printer problems, microsoft word problems, google docs problems, internet problems, money problems, boy problems (*ahem* Bam!), and all sorts of problems that you don't want to know.

I'm so happy that God gave me a chance to get to know these two ladies in a whole new level before I leave my college life behind. I feel like it's a pahabol kind of thing. I can't graduate just yet without knowing these two amazing girlies. And I definitely understand why.

I'm pretty sure I've missed out on a lot of details in my college life but I guess this pretty much sums up everything. I know I also haven't mentioned a lot of people who made my stay in DLSU extra special but you guys know who you are. It would surely take me a long time if I mentioned you guys one by one.

College is by far the best-est part of my life. I enjoyed every bit of experience I had. It was one hell of a journey and it surely made me the person I am today. And I am really thankful that for once in my life I made the right decision to go for the right university. La Salle sure opened a lot of doors, especially in terms of finding the suitable career for me. As I've mentioned I was a lost kid when I entered the university but now, I can definitely say that I found the right career path that I am ready to undertake. And I owe DLSU for that, I owe everything to this AWESOME university.

Now that I am about to say goodbye to my college life, another chapter of my life is yet to be conquered. Though I don't want to leave my college life behind just yet, I think I'm quite satisfied with what I was able to accomplish. I will surely miss all the people that I'm gonna leave behind - My Santugon anaks, my LAmb family, my silly orientees, my used-to-be classmates, my happy crushes (TEEHEE), and all those people I got acquainted with. I can name you all one by one but that would be instant suicide, so just acknowledge yourselves.

Though college did not really give me someone to be involved with romantically (or at least almost). It's alright, I mean really, I'm not being sarcastic. I never appreciated the beauty of being single ever since and I enjoyed it so much. Yes, no heartbreak since 2008. This can be a record of some sort. Heehee

Oh, June 9, 2012 is my big day. The day I will finally receive my diploma and make my graduation official. Hopefully, nothing awful would happen that would delay this big event in my life.


This is me finally revealing my graduation picture. I know, too much hair spray. Hee hee! But I love this photo of mine very much and I will treasure it forever. 

I have a lot of copies with me so hit me up if you want to have one. Celebrity? Ha ha ha 

I really don't have any idea how I can end this entry because I know I'm missing out on a lot of details that I still want to write about. It seriously makes me feel uneasy. But I guess, the length of this entry already tells a lot about how my college life have been. I guess I had too much fun reminiscing everything that I got nostalgic which made me write about it on and on and on. I apologize. I hope you had fun reading about my college journey though as I had fun going through it again.

So yeah, FAREWELL COLLEGE! It has been one hell of a journey. CHEERS!

No comments:

Post a Comment