Saturday, May 19, 2012

Yuppie In The Making

The months of April and May were supposed to be reserved for the days and weeks to which I am supposed to savor the life of being a full time bum. I should be appreciating the good in watching TV all day and eating junk food all I want. But apparently, not everything went as expected. No couch potato-ing. No junk food buffet.

I started working as early as April 30 and yes, I'm about to have my very first monthsary with this very special someone I have at the moment, Work. Everything actually happened so fast. When I started working for a firm, I was still having a strong hang over with me finally finishing thesis and my college life being dunzo.

Being employed was kinda' hard for me to take in, actually. It was the same feeling I felt when we were done defending our thesis. Everything felt surreal. Maybe it was the jitters talking but yeah, it took sometime for me to realize that "Hey, you're working. You're already earning money for yourself." Perhaps, I'm still stuck in the denial stage of being a mature working woman.

Oh wait. I guess that's it. Hearing the words "mature working woman" makes me cringe. The thought of it makes me die a little inside. I'm old. NO!

Did I already mention that I haven't officially graduated yet? I don't have my diploma as of the moment and I'm already working. Some of my batch mates are all busy looking for their graduation must-haves but here I am busy with clients. Cool. Just cool.

My first week turned out to be a-okay. And the very first crucial thing that came to my mind was to fix and arrange my work space. I wanted to "mark my territory" as early as I can, apparently (ha ha). So, the next day, I brought a bunch of stuff with me - a pen holder, a container for my post its, and my hope box. I thought of everything the moment I got home from my first day of work. It's weird, I know. But I just can't help it.


This was taken a few weeks back but believe me, my table is messier now with all the post its in my desktop screen and files at the side. 

The week came by fast and I eventually got the hang of some of the things I have to take care of at work. I also love the fact that I get to learn new things everyday. This is actually my aim. I want my day at work to be productive and I want to make it count so I try as much as possible to learn as much as I can. And so far, I think I managed to acquire a couple of new knowledge about PR which is a good sign, yes?

Last May 9, 2012, I attended my very first event with my colleague, Ika.  My other colleague, Fritz, wasn't there though 'coz he had to attend another meeting. It was actually something that I looked forward to that week, since we will be mingling with new people. And you know how I love meeting new people may it be in a gathering or some place random. But anyway.

This isn't really our first event for the company 'coz we already attended one even before we started working. But let's just count this one as our first, being an official part of the company.

We went to Nuvali for the Miriam College-Nuvali groundbreaking. I think you've all heard how Miriam College is going to build a campus in Nuvali just like Xavier, yes? So, they had a groundbreaking with all the contract signing, speeches, performances, and the like. Its kind of a big deal 'coz FZA (Fernando Zobel de Ayala) was there which BTW, I got starstruck from. 


I don't know why but every time I stare at him, I kept on thinking of how many properties he own and how rich he is. And I get kilig all of a sudden. I'm so weird. 


(THIS IS ME ABOUT TO SEGUE)
Let's pretend I did not write what I wrote up there. Okay? Okay. Moving on. 


Nuvali's actually one of our many clients which is why we had the opportunity to attend this event. Plus, we invited a couple of  media so we have to accommodate them as much as possible. 

That's FZA right there





Me and Ika

I am definitely looking forward to more events that we can attend to. Nice avenue to meet lots of interesting people. 

Of course, being an official part of the "work force" is not always a good thing. Sometimes I want to go back to college and go through the basics once again. I don't know why, but yeah, I miss the thrill of being in campus. I miss having allowance. I hate being obliged to pay for my own bills. I hate the idea of budgeting the things I want to buy for myself. I miss going to school where I can see a variety of people I know 'coz obviously, I don't get to say the word "hi" more often anymore to the people I pass by to every time I walk in Ayala Avenue. Clearly, Ayala Avenue is no SJ walk. 

But speaking of walking in Ayala Avenue...

Every time I have to walk my way to work, a voice inside me always goes, "You're part of the work force Kim, you're part of it." I don't know why, but every time I walk in the busy streets of Ayala avenue I find the need to fit in. I feel all the "work vibe" I think, to put it simply. I guess its with the people looking all corporate-y walking to and fro that makes me feel all mature and independent. So every time I walk, I try as much as possible not to look like a newbie and be like everyone else who goes to their own respective offices. Hey, I do have the right to try to fit in after all, right? 'Coz I am just like those people who walk along Ayala, I'm employed. *Yabang look* Ha ha

I know, this is just a start of a whole new adventure for me. There's so many things that I have yet to learn and explore. And I'm glad that God gave me the opportunity to pursue something that I really want to do in life. I'm actually quite thankful that I already found a job in no time. No matter how much I complain with all the responsibilities that this employment gives me in return, I still [somehow] take it as a blessing. 

I don't really understand why people always say that graduating from college is the end. 'Coz for me, I see it the other way around. Graduation, for me, is only THE beginning. Just like what Zac Efron and Vanessa Hudgens used to sing in HSM and I quote, "It's the start of something new....!" He he I just had to quote them! I know its lame but you did get my point right? 

Its more of a whole new chapter in my life that is yet to be written. And so far, everything's a work in progress. I'm [still] trying as much as I can for it to be beautifully written. Perhaps for me to fulfill my fairy tale dreams of having a happy ever after. 

2 comments:

  1. I'm actually wondering how working feels like.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, it took quite sometime for me to really acknowledge the fact that I'm already working, for some weird reason. But everything's going pretty good so far. :) And its just a matter of choosing the right job for you! ;) You'll probably know that soon enough. :) Don't worry it isn't bad as it sounds. :)

    ReplyDelete