Saturday, August 25, 2012

Says the girl who's in her 4th month at work

They say when you graduate college, you'll be introduced to a whole new different world where you're supposed to see the so-called "bigger picture" of life. Being at least 20-30% independent is indeed an obligatory  move for you to survive life after college. And I guess I am exactly in the 20-30% range of independen-cy from my mom as well so, I'm not so bad. [I just came up with the percentage, BTW. He he he] Sure there is still a room left for immaturities but you can't stay naive in the long run. You should learn how to be strong and competitive or else there's a huge possibility for you to lose in the "battle field".

I'm still no guru with these kinds of stuff. Obviously, I'm still considered as a "newbie" in the work force. Apparently, 4 months is still insufficient for me to be considered as a "professional". I know I have a whole lot more to learn and many things are still  in store for me. Stepping closer and closer to the legit yuppie life takes a lot of hard work, you know. So, as of now, if you're wondering where I would temporarily place myself, its probably in the "I'm-getting-there" stage. I'm still taking things one step at a time and not in a hurry to get a taste of what the real world can offer me.

I just try to take my time to get a good grasp of this "new-thing" that I am going to be dealing with as much as I can. I guess, its a way for me to properly adapt and understand what I am getting myself into.

4 months of working had been very fulfilling, so far. I was able to practice what I know and learned new things in the career path that I really wanted to pursue ever since I graduated. Though there might have been a couple of issues, it was still a good run. I guess, if there's one thing that helped me cope with everything, its my passion and love for the career I choose. Seriously, if it wasn't because of my willingness to learn and do PR, I would've gave up a long time ago.

Perhaps a worthy piece of advice I can give those people who are trying to find a job is to get into something they really love to do. I mean, the career that you really feel strongly about. It doesn't matter if the pay isn't good (especially if this is your first job) or if the company isn't known enough for you to boast, the most important thing is it is what you really want to do in life. Believe me, you're going to do yourself a favor.

This is actually what I did. And it turned out to be OKAY. I just got lucky enough to be working with mostly my schoolmates in college which made my job even more bearable.

If most of you thought that working would make you get away from your parents' sermons, clearly, YOU THOUGHT WRONG! Apparently, working is not an excuse for you to be safe from your parents' sermons (if you're still living with them). 'Cause in fact, its not actually JUST US who's going to adjust to our new "lifestyle" but our parents as well.

 4 months of working and I'm still being bombarded with sermons. I think compared to when I was still in school, the sermons my mom gave me now that I am working, even DOUBLED.

"Its okay to be immature but it doesn't mean you have to act that way all the time. LIMIT IT! You're a grown up!" 
"You have to be smart enough! DISKARTE!"
"Why do you always go out? And you're complaining how stressed you are at work."  
"Think PRACTICAL!"
"You don't know how to budget your own money! Gastos ka ng gastos!"
"You have to be aggressive! Don't be too kind all the time."
"Be competitive" 

And the most favorite sermon/advice I got from my momma: "There's nothing wrong to live in the now but picture how your future will look like once in a while."

My mom is quite a talker, you see. And there is more where that came from. I just couldn't remember all the other things she told me. But even though I get full of it sometimes, I honestly get to learn from it from time to time. I guess, its a wake up call for me every time I start to get "lost".

See, I still have a serious college life hangover. I mean, who wouldn't? College was too awesome to forget. I don't know if it's normal but there comes a time that I always forget the fact that, hey,you're no longer in college, TOUGHEN UP! Stop acting like a student!

I guess, this is where my mom's sermons come into play. The reminders she give me helps me realize to grow up, for me to be able to face the real world, head on.

Work life and college life? Is there really a difference? Well, for me if  you would make me compare my work life from my college life, everything is pretty much the same. But being stuck with the thought of college would definitely not help you cope with the fast paced life that you're getting yourself into (which is why I have to remind myself to toughen up whenever I get stuck and lost with the thought of college, like I said)

Perhaps the only visible difference that I can observe with college and work is with the environment I get exposed to. At work, everything is just more professional and mature. Of course, this is already a given, I know, but really, the way I see it that's the only thing that separates college from work.

See, the boss is just like a professor. You have to impress and satisfy him/her in doing a good job in every task s/he asks you to do. If s/he is satisfied, then good job, you just got yourself a 4.0... at work. Of course, there's no score card at work, silly. I just laid it out for you to understand my comparison.

You're also given a deadline for a specific write up, communication plans, story angles, proposal, (this is in my case, in PR) or any task given to you. The only difference is you don't get any point deducted if you "pass" your write up late. Of course, passing something beyond the specified deadline is severely frowned upon and you wouldn't want your boss to think that you're not taking your job seriously, right? So, that's just like having a point deducted in your pogi/ganda points to your boss if you din't meet the deadline.

In terms of your colleagues at work, they are just like your block mates. You eat lunch with them, talk about random stuff, rant about whatever, play Monopoly deal with them, and even bond with them after work. They're just like your "professional" block mates!

See how work and college could almost be the same? I guess, its just a matter of perspective. And this is what I realized on the mark of my 4th month at work.

Yeah, there is still no doubt that college life was way more fun and interesting. Nothing will ever replace that fact, in my case. But really, work can also be fun. It just depends on how you approach it.

I've never been contented with what I have right now and I never felt so blessed.

Stability would perhaps be the best word to describe how I've been for the past months. I am happy with the  people I'm with, the friends I have, the career I have, and most importantly I am happy that my family has been supportive enough in whatever I do. Seriously, what more can I ask for?

P.S. I'm technically not YET in my 4th month until the 30th of August (that's five days from now), just so you know.

Like I said, I am in the "I-am-getting-there" stage. So........ yeah, I am getting there.

(I hope you bought my excuse. KBYE.)

1 comment:

  1. See, the boss is just like a professor. You have to impress and satisfy him/her in doing a good job in every task s/he asks you to do. If s/he is satisfied, then good job, you just got yourself a 4.0... at work. Of course, there's no score card at work, silly. I just laid it out for you to understand my comparison.

    Playgroup Singapore

    ReplyDelete