Sunday, August 5, 2012

Twice the OVERTIME, Twice the THRILL!

Its no ADMU-DLSU game but watching our team play live once again after a very long time felt like I was back in college. It felt really good to wear my favorite DLSU shirt again to watch a UAAP game and cheer my heart out for the team. It was something that I really looked forward to during the week. I really can't wait to test the yelling limit of my lungs, cheer the DLSU cheers, and sing the alma mater song after so long. To think I am already an alumna and I still felt the same way for our team. It just shows how much school spirit I have left in me, Gang Green should definitely consider me to be part of their circle. 

I met up with Ira in MOA around 12 and grabbed lunch in Starbucks. Since we both affirmed ourselves to be of short budget, we settled with corned beef pandesal and ham and cheese croissant. Normally, we would eat somewhere that would make us feel guilty 'cause of too much carbs, but at least now, we have a reason to slack off a bit. YAY to diet!

Yes, I try to look at the bright side as much as possible. 





As I was on my way to meet up with Ira, I saw a lot of students wearing yellow shirts strolling along MOA. I rarely saw people who were wearing green or any DLSU shirt. But when I got to Starbucks Lasallians/ex-Lasallians started pouring in. And for some reason, I felt good. I told myself, "HA! There are my fellow Lasallians! Finally! ANIMOO!" If only I could say this out loud! [Hahaha] Talk about school spirit. 

The Gang Green
So before heading to the arena, we saw Bianca, the perky little girl who we missed so much. We bonded with her for like 20 minutes because we had a game to catch and she had some get together with her family. 




Part of us catching up with her was turning her into a real live Chun Li for the day. I don't know how it started but Ira started braiding her hair as I did so too in the other side, so yeah TADA, Chun Li.



We then went to the MOA Arena and looked for the Blue entrance as our tickets said so. Ira and I felt so awkward the moment we got to the entrance 'cause majority of the people there were all wearing UST shirts. We felt the need to look for familiar DLSU people which we did find, but we still felt outnumbered. 
It was raining yellow in our side.


After the long wait outside the arena, we finally got in and found ourselves in the middle of students/alumni cheering for UST. But it wasn't really that much of a big deal 'cause we still managed to enjoy the whole game and still was able to cheer D-L-S-U Animo La Salle! Let's go La Salle! Go Jed! Go LA! Go Norbert! Go Webb! Go Andrada! Go Jeron! Good thing the people from UST didn't throw their clappers on us despite of our passionate cheering for the DLSU team.




Fritz was also with us during the game but he was too focused on watching it which left me and Ira to go all crazy by screaming and jumping. We even had to apologize to him after the game 'cause we knew how both of us really got carried away. It was normal for the both of us, but I guess we caught him off guard. Peace, FRITZ!


This game is nothing like I expected. It was very exciting for a DLSU-UST game to start with. I don't know if it was because of the Teng brothers battling it out for the win or is it just because DLSU and UST are of the same standing in UAAP? 

This is the first time I got really tired from watching any basketball game. There was just too much pressure, for some reason. The moment when DLSU-UST had a 71-71 score at the end of the 4th quarter, I knew my exhaustion was going to be prolonged.

Another 5 minute run between these two teams means another round of intense jumping and shouting from our seats. As much as I want to stop and rest from all the cheering, I can't help it. The game was too intense for me to refrain from the way I know of encouraging the team to win this game for us. I was that passionate, I mean, Ira and I were that passionate.


Another round started and the score between the two teams weren't as far, the DLSU and UST team's score were like playing in a seesaw. It did not help us in feeling calm at all because the moment we're on the lead, UST will come shooting for 2s all of a sudden. The turn out was very hard to predict as the teams were equally playing their heart out. And just when the score ties up again, LA's 2 point buzzer beater made every Lasallians celebrate for victory. Finally, we won by 2 points! We were already shouting "We wooon! We just wooon! YAAAY!"  But lo and behold, the announcer declared that the 2 pointer did not count. Apparently, it did not make it to the basket on time. It was an ultimate downer. Everyone had to suspend all the hoopla. It was yet another 80-80 for DLSU and UST, another overtime.     


Of course we had our hopes up. Anything is possible for another 5 minute basketball battle. So we started cheering our heart out again as the players started to battle it out for the second overtime. It was obvious how the athletes played with all their heart just for them to win this game. But unfortunately, our team did not make it. UST  had a 2 point lead against DLSU which ended the game for good. 

A sad 84-82, in favor of the growling tigers, manifested in the score board as the 4th quarter finally ended this time. Yes, it was a depressing moment for all the Lasallians. It was a tough call but I still take my hat off  to our players for giving their all to this game. Let's give it to them. It doesn't matter if some of the players did not score a double digit for this game, we all saw how they strived for triumph. And that is the most important thing. 

C'mon! The season's not yet over, we still have a chance, all of our players have great potential. They got serious basketball skills! Keep the faith! Anything is possible.  


ANIMO LA SALLE!   

1 comment:

  1. Fritz was also with us during the game but he was too focused on watching it which left me and Ira to go all crazy by screaming and jumping. We even had to apologize to him after the game 'cause we knew how both of us really got carried away. It was normal for the both of us, but I guess we caught him off guard. Peace, FRITZ!


    Playgroup Singapore

    ReplyDelete